Board Seats for June 5, 2016 Election
All fifteen DRNC Board seats are open to candidates for the June election. One of the significant changes in the DRNC’s recently amended Bylaws is the creation of new elected Board seats for Land Use Officer and Outreach Officer, who will join the 7-seat executive team rounded out by President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Communications Officer. The other eight elected seats continue to be Area Directors representing geographic areas designated A through H. You can find descriptions of all the Board seats and an Area map in the Bylaws dated September 1, 2015 on our website under the Agendas/Minutes tab or by clicking here.
Candidate registration is open until April 6th.
See what area you live in below:
The DRNC is excited to announce that in addition to having a polling location at Del Rey Square on Sunday, June 5th, we will be one of the Neighborhood Councils piloting Online Voting. Online Voting provides an opportunity for voters to register in advance of the election date and vote from a desktop computer, tablet or smart phone. Register now for Online Voting at http://empowerla.org/onlinevoting/
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why get involved in the DRNC?
- Help to shape the future of our neighborhood
- Work with local government to make it more responsive to our community’s needs, including (but not limited to) LAPD Pacific Division, Council District 11, Department of City Planning, L.A. Department of Transportation, LAUSD
- Build Del Rey’s identity to strengthen our influence
- Support the efforts of local non-profit organizations and schools
- Create and support new community projects and activities
Who is qualified to run for a seat on the DRNC Board?
Any stakeholder age 18 or older who lives, works, owns property or has a significant and active involvement in Del Rey (e.g. participates in a Del Rey organization).
What do Board members do?
- Represent local needs to elected officials.
- Help outreach to the community
- Weigh in on important decisions that affect Del Rey, including land use, development, traffic and transportation
- Decide how to budget the annual financial allocation provided to the DRNC from the City
- Participate in monthly DRNC Board meetings (second Thursday of every month)
- Participate in at least one DRNC committee (Committees generally meet monthly on weekday evenings):
- Community Services/Health & Wellness
- Land Use and Planning
- Budget & Finance
- Bylaws, Rules & Selections
What skills would be helpful?
We encourage all eligible stakeholders who have the desire to serve the neighborhood to run for a Board seat. No particular experience, education or skills are necessary. All Board members are volunteers and your enthusiasm, creativity and perspective will go a long way. Beyond that, the following skills would be helpful:
- community organizing and outreach
- land use, transportation, planning
- architecture, design, landscape design
- web design/social media/graphic design
- event planning
- multi-lingual skills (particularly Spanish)